Monday, November 16, 2009

Memory Monday

I'm sorry.
I told a very good friend of mine that I would stop being such a slacker, and get back to writing everyday like I promised I would at the beginning. It's not that hard, and I like doing it. I'm just a little lazy sometimes. But that's no excuse. So here we go...

This memory is one I shared with my Bek Shmek a few days ago, and it's stuck and keeps making me laugh. Mainly because I keep seeing signs of eggnog everywhere. Oh eggnog!

So quite a few years ago when I was living in St George, I came up north, or to the SLC area with my good friends Dan and Freddy. At this point in our lives, Dan and Freddy and I were joint at the hip. We did pretty much everything together and they were at our house basically from the moment they were done with work till it was time to go to bed. Our bedtime, not a reasonable person's bedtime... (But we had such fun shows to watch!!!)

Back to the memory. So I came up with Dan and Freddy for Thanksgiving. (I felt this was appropriate for this time of year.) At first we met up with Dan's dad and had a yummy dinner at the Golden Corral. This was my first experience there and as much as I love food, it was perfect. So we stuffed ourselves and continued on with our adventure. We were going to stop by and say hi to Buddy Jared and then meet up with Dan's dad again at his house and have more Thanksgiving with him and Dan's grandma. (You can never have too much Thanksgiving.)

K, this is where the funny comes in. So the whole trip (We'd travelled up the day before and stayed at Dan's sister's house that was empty, but free and not a hotel!) we'd been drinking eggnog. I'm pretty sure that after that trip, we all took a break from it, because we drank it that much! At this time though, we wanted it all we could get.

We were setting the table to have dinner with Grandma and helping get the food together. I'm not sure who started getting the eggnog out, but Grandma told us to put it away and that we couldn't have any until we finished our dinners! She was VERY firm with that. What?!? Eggnog was to be had with dinner, not afterwards. But Grandma would have nothing to do with it. So, being the good kids that we are, we left it at that.

Well apparently finishing your dinner means FINISHING YOUR DINNER... at least for Grandma. And nothing was going to happen till Freddy at his vegetables. Only Freddy didn't like the vegetables we were having. After waiting and waiting, Grandma got up for some reason or another and Dan and I yelled at Freddy to just eat his veggies. He wouldn't do it. So, being the resourceful young lady I am, I grabbed my napkin and scooped up Freddy's vegetables, putting them in my pocket. (Yes, people do do this...)

Finally, we could have our eggnog! Yay!!!

It really was so funny. And to this day Dan and I still reminisce about Grandma and her vegetables. Of course now we drink our eggnog WITH dinner... but a good lesson was learned that day:

Not that it's important to eat your vegetables, though it is, but GRANDMAS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT! (Whether you agree or not.)

Silly Grandma. :)

3 comments:

dbc said...

Tams, I'm sure it was her depression-era mentality that kicked for grandma, so don't too harsh. For me personally, we always saved the pie for last!

Anonymous said...

I love this story so much! That's you and me at 90!

Tams said...

Who am I going to be 90 with?