Monday, October 26, 2009

Memory Monday

I know you have all been waiting for this moment all week. My scary story for this lovely Halloween week! I can't believe only one more week to celebrate the best time in the world... :( Sigh... at least there are some good times coming up to help let go of the post-Halloween blues.

But! We are still part of the fun that is Halloween... so here is a real life scary story. oK, it won't be that scary for you, but for some reason, it freaked out Hi-D, Djinn and I!

A preface for this story is that at this time in our lives, Hi-D, Djinn and I would often go and visit the lovely apartment #42. They were a great bunch of guys and we had many a good time with them!

One evening as we were over there, the boys were already in the middle of watching "Carrie", the crazy movie based off of one of Stephen King's books. I love Stephen King, and it was the TV version, so we thought "Why not?". I mean, how scary can a TV movie be??? Well, apparently VERY scary!!!

The movie freaked us out. Completely. I'm not sure exactly why. It is a little devilish... but not anymore than any of his other movies I don't think. (I can't really say for sure because I refuse to ever watch that movie again. Because of this night. I'm not kidding. Me, the fan of scary movies... never again with this one!)

Well the boys offered to drive us home, which we accepted immediately. We lived across two parking lots from them, and usually we were fine to walk home. Even at night... but like I said, this movie had freaked us out.

Being as we were still scared by the time we got home, we decided to go up to Hi-D and Djinn's room and listen to happy music and try to relax and forget about that terrible things we had just seen. We were doing a pretty good job there for awhile. Granted I put a happy face drawn on a sticky note over the face of Djinn's "Crow" poster, but besides that, we were getting better.

UNTIL... (isn't there always an until???)

Our lights started flickering!!! I'm not kidding. Someone or someTHING was making our lights go on and off. This was the end. We were freaked out completely all over again!!! Djinn and Hi-D were camped out on there beds and I stationed myself by the door. There was NO way I wasn't going to be the first one out the door when the monster came in to get us!

We assumed it was the boys, and called them to tell them it wasn't funny. They promised it wasn't us... but we didn't believe them. The light flickering stopped and we eventually calmed down and relaxed.

The thing is, this was a time way before cell phones were had by all. I don't think anyone of us owned one at the time... or any of our friends really, so when we called and found out they were home, they REALLY had to be home.

As happens, the night continued and we watched cartoons or some such silly thing and finally relaxed. But I promise, we were terrified!!! (We later found out it was a DIFFERENT set of friends who were playing a trick on us by flicking our lights. They had no idea we had just watched a scary movie and were near tears the whole time they were playing with us. They just thought it would be silly fun. Maybe on any other night it would have been.)

I look back now and I'm not so sure how I would react today. Like I said, I have refused to watch "Carrie" ever again. But I've watched other Stephen King movies, and LOVE scary movies on the whole. Maybe it was just the night. Who knows. But I still hold to the fact that that was one of the SCARIEST nights I have ever lived through!!!

And if you will listen to any advice I ever give on this blog... let it be this:

NEVER WATCH CARRIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I can't even put a picture of Carrie up here... that's how I hate it!!! Sorry Steve.)

The End

4 comments:

Jenny May McKim said...

Yeah I agree Tammy, I will never EVER watch Carrie again... NEVER!!!

I would have been freaked out too!

Mostly Broken said...

ha ha ha! That was one scary time!!!!!! I will not watch Carrie, or any other movie making fun of Carrie! Anything to remind me of that Movie freaks me out still! I forgot that the lights were flickering! Thanks for the Memory. . . .or not thanks. . .:)

Heidi

M.S. said...

I begin to wonder where I was? UM... How did I miss this adventure? I'm sure I was off on my own adventure... getting in trouble. Carrie is just a gross movie. I've seen it a couple of times.

Tams said...

M-- You must have been out of town... because we weren't hiding our scariness!

H-- I'm glad it's still so sharp in my memory, no matter how hard I try to get it away. I still can barely watch anything with Sissy Spacek in it. Poor girl!

J-- Good girl! Never love such an evil movie!!!