Monday, August 10, 2009

Learn from my stupidity...

Today I have won the award they give to idiots all across America! Boo me! Here's what happened: (That was a little shout out to Monk...)



Just in case you don't know, I work at Barnes & Noble. It's a fun place, with great people, and we're all pretty outgoing. It's basically a work place full of me. We're usually not shy about anything... until today apparently.



So at one point during my shift today, I looked outside and saw this guy in a red ball cap messing around with the steering wheel of a car. He was inside and I really thought he just must be having some kind of car trouble. I called up two fellow co-workers to get their opinions. They agreed with me. The fact of the matter is, we were all being shy and following the old, lame rule of "minding your own business". But, c'mon! The guy was leaning halfway out the window at certain times. He was looking around like a guilty man... not someone waiting for his mom to come out of Michael's. Alas... we still didn't say anything.



Many hours later, I looked out into the parking lot again and there were 4 cop cars surrounding the aforementioned car, and a little family. None of which was the poor, little guy in the red ball cap. (Please hear the sarcasm...) I did go out at this time and tell what we had witnessed and apologized for not doing anything sooner.



I'm trying hard to believe that it was a mistake anyone would have made... but really, it was because we were all too chicken. I guess this same guy tried to steal a car down the street, so they had better eye witnesses, but still! I felt like such a dork! I mean really, what was the worst that could have happened? The police would have shown up and the guy would have thought we were idiots for thinking he was stealing his own car?!?



Luckily the car wasn't damaged and they all drove it away... but my oh my.





What I have learned? I will from now on ALWAYS send out the Bat Signal... So you little jokesters, beware!!!



In better news... the cop asked for my number and I'm pretty sure he's going to call and ask me out!!! (That's a joke... I know it was for witness purposes... I'm not that slow with dating... well, not totally...)

1 comment:

M.S. said...

If it happens again.... pull out your cell phone and take a picture of the act in progress. (Just in case.) But really, what if the guy had a gun and you went out there! I hope they find him! (I think the local police NOT 911 is on my cell phone.... but I have no problem calling on people. I have issues!)